Va. Code § 46.2-833: Failing to Follow Traffic Lights in Virginia
As per the rules set by this Code of Virgina, any Virginian caught in violation of failing to follow the set traffic laws of this section will be found of committing a traffic infraction. They will be placed with a penalty for this offense. A fine of $350 will have to be paid by them.
This Code of Virginia is designed for traffic lights that every Virginian citizen is expected to follow. The code will be violated in the following cases when:
- They run through a stop sign or are not making a full stop
- Running through a red light
- Not stopping before or at the crosswalk at an intersection (limit line)
- Failing to stay when on the blinking red and yellow lights
Failing to Stop at a Red Light in Virginia
The state of Virginia has placed strict rules that are to be followed by every Virginian citizen. Those failing to stop at a red light will be charged for a red light ticket. This ticket means a 4-demerit violation for any Virginian caught by the law enforcement authorities on not following the traffic signal rules. Besides making a violation on not stopping at a red light, the offender will also be violating other related traffic laws such as not stopping for a pedestrian, reckless driving, manslaughter, and many more breaches that can happen from crossing a red light.
Their record status will read ‘habitual offender’, and the offender’s driver’s license will be revoked or held suspended until the required fine is paid. Only after that will the offender can get back their driving privileges.
Fine imposed for Running a Red Light in the State of Virginia
The state of Virginia’s Commonwealth can impose a fine of
- No more than $50.00 as fine. Apart from that a processing fee of $62.00 if the offender is found eluding a traffic control tool.
- No more than $100.00 as fine. Apart from that a processing fee of $62.00 if the offender is found disobeying the traffic lights. This is also applicable for those who made a right on red or failed to stop at the red light. It is also possible that the offender is charged for other breaches that can happen from running a red light.
Get help in clearing your Traffic Ticket violation
Traffic infractions are relatively minor offenses, but if your driving record shows way too many, you are bound to end up paying a higher insurance rate. Besides that, your driver’s license will be at a risk of being revoked or suspended. If a Virginian driver has a history of showing traffic violations, they will face a rough time if they have to deal with any future traffic charges. A knowledgeable and skilled Virginian lawyer at your side will know and guide you on how all your traffic-related charges should be handled. You must be well aware of all your options on how to tackle your offenses. Your lawyer will make sure you are.